...the reverse side of beauty..//..Mantified

A Jrock commentary journal (at least most of it is).

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Vidoll

I...don't know what to say for this group. Yet I have this strange compulsion to make a commentary about Vidoll.

Methinks they're a curious band. Obviously, as music is the most important factor (followed by visual fashion styling and the PV art), so I'll just comment on their sounds.

As much as I like Jui's voice, it's been a hit and miss journey of Vidoll discovery for me. When I listened to Gothicaroid, it's as though I was listening to early GazettE - not the style I particularly admire when Ruki does it because it makes him sound like his voice hasn't broken yet. Vidoll's stop and go staccatos are not as difficult to listen to, though I suspect it might be because Jui's voice quality is gentler, softening the grunt effect. Then when I downloaded Orihime, my first reaction was: "VERSAILLES!!!!!" Can you really blame me when one of them (Shun or Giru, I still can't tell who's who yet) looks like a non-Renaissance styled version of Hizaki and there are repeated drum sounds that sound totally similar to Versailles' trademark beats? Only it's less Baroque and more upbeat.

They do have some plus points though. I suspect it may be my preference for vocalists who can sing the baritone ends and/or I prefer ballads and hard metal compared to things like...bubblegum rock that screams SuG, Antic Cafe or Kra. (Note: I'm not saying I dislike the said groups. They're just not my cup of tea. Is it because I'm such a depressing person? Hahaha.) I do like some of Vidoll's pieces - Innocent Teens is upbeat without the layer of sugar coating called "kawaii" (yes, there is something called "too kawaii" that exists), Blue Star is also a fast one that's got a strange sense of gentleness without being too cute, and my favourite so far...Cloud. The ballad is light, definitely not overwhelming with cheesiness, and ideal for easy listening.

Did I just give Vidoll a rave point? I might have. But whether I'll be a devoted fan in the long run (like I am for the GazettE, KAT-TUN, Koda Kumi, Miyavi, and lately Luna Sea and SUGIZO) will depend on whether their overall music will win me over enough to want to buy their CDs. I pay financial support to artists I like!

0 comments:

Post a Comment